Thursday, August 31, 2017

Audio books

I have mentioned before that we got a Yuma library card so we could access Overdrive audio books (http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-story-of-our-day.html). I have been enjoying listening to many books over the months since we got the library card.

This week, I started listening to the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis. I have long enjoyed reading these books, but had never listened to them before. I am so enjoying the various voices provided by the readers. Each book has a different person reading them (actually, some of them may be read by the same person, but I know there have been at least 3 different readers, the last one I listened to was read by Lynn Redgrave), they all sound British, and each does the neatest voices for the different characters - from the high piping voice of Reepicheep (the mouse) to the low growly voice of the bear, to the solemn, beautiful voice of Aslan (the lion). Listening to the books is almost like a radio-drama of the book as the reader sometimes adds in sounds (for example, if the text says, "with a yawn" - the reader audibly yawns).

The books also have the order indicated 1-7 -- "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is #2 in the series, even though it is usually read as #1 - so I'm trying to listen to them in order (though I listened to "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" first). This means that (even as in my printed copy) "The Last Battle" will be last... which is my second favorite of the series. I'm holding off listening to it, knowing that pleasure delayed will be that much sweeter!

I also have his Space Trilogy checked out to my account and am looking forward to listening to those books - what fun this is enjoying old favorite books via audio!
Part of my "Loans" page on the Yuma Library site.

No comments:

Post a Comment