Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Helen Roseveare

A couple of years ago, friends of ours named their long-awaited little girl "Roseveare". I thought, "What a beautiful name, I wonder if it is a family name, sounds old English."

Last week, I found out that their little girl was named after Helen Roseveare, a missionary to the Congo. Helen passed away last week on December 7, 2016.

Two quotes that I found in an article about her life were so meaningful and convicting to me.

Quote 1:
Afterwards, I went up into the mountains and had it out with God. “O.K. God, today I mean it. Go ahead and make me more like Jesus, whatever the cost. But please (knowing myself fairly well), when I feel I can’t stand anymore and cry out, ‘Stop!’ will you ignore my ‘stop’ and remember that today I said ‘Go ahead!’?”
Quote 2:
On one occasion, her conviction from the Lord went as follows:
You no longer want Jesus only, but Jesus plus . . . plus respect, popularity, public opinion, success and pride. You wanted to go out with all the trumpets blaring, from a farewell-do that you organized for yourself with photographs and tape-recordings to show and play at home, just to reveal what you had achieved. You wanted to feel needed and respected. You wanted the other missionaries to be worried about how they’ll ever carry on after you’ve gone. You’d like letters when you go home to tell how much they realize they owe to you, how much they miss you. All this and more. Jesus plus. . . . No, you can’t have it. Either it must be “Jesus only” or you’ll find you have no Jesus. You’ll substitute Helen Roseveare.
If you are interested to read more, you can find the article I read here:
https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/justintaylor/2016/12/07/a-woman-of-whom-the-world-was-not-worthy-helen-roseveare-1925-2016/

Regarding where we are - staying the night at the Walmart in Hondo, Texas (just south west of San Antonio).

No comments:

Post a Comment