Monday, December 12, 2016

Miss Doozie takes another ferry ride

We had reserved to stay at Ransom Road RV park just two nights - they are a Passport America park which means we can get the site at half price, but the PA website said that it was only valid 2 nights. When I called, they said that they were changing it to being valid just one night, but since I had originally called before the policy change, they would honor it for two nights.

They also had a requirement that the manager had to approve any rig over 10 years old. I asked if I could send a picture of Miss Doozie and they approved us staying (the other option was to show up and be turned away if she didn't meet approval!).

We liked the park, but had wanted to see the barrier island Texas State and National Seashore RV parking options - we checked them out on Saturday and decided that we would like to stay at each of them.

So, this morning, we dumped and got on the road relatively early for us. There was a ferry (free) to take us from Aransas Pass to Port Aransas.

When we got to the ferry location, Dwayne and the Jeep got on the next ferry going, while Miss Doozie and I got pointed to a line to wait for the next ferry.

The guy who was at the line where I was waiting asked if I "happened to know" how much the rig weighed. I said, "26 tons" - he asked, "26,000 pounds?", I said, "52,000 pounds". He nodded and walked away...

As the ferry I was to board came in to dock, I noticed that a 5th wheel was on it - in the middle of the left side of the ferry (just past the front of the red pickup getting off).

They put Miss Doozie onto the right side of the center but up near the center structure. We had one vehicle in front of us. When I was getting on, the guy said, "very very slowly".

Since Dwayne had gone on the previous ferry, he took this picture as we were coming in to dock.

Can you see Dwayne? He is on the docking area, just above the guy with the bright orange who is on the ferry.

There he is!
Coming in for a docking - there's Miss Doozie.

When I was waved to get off, again they said, "Very very slowly". It was a nice smooth entry and exit, no abrupt up or down ramps to drag front or back.

No comments:

Post a Comment