Saturday, February 25, 2017

"What's growing in Yuma?"

One of the events that we have enjoyed the last two years while in Yuma is "Lettuce Days" - a celebration of the agriculture that occurs in this area hosted by the Yuma Visitors Bureau. It has been held at the University of Arizona Yuma Agricultural Center, though that seems to have been a recent change (just for the two years we've been here). We were disappointed to see that it would not be held this year:
http://www.yumalettucedays.com/

It appeared that a "similar" event was going to be held hosted by the city (I don't understand the difference in the two organizations): http://www.yumaaz.gov/event/heritage-festivals-events/what-s-growing-in-yuma-festival
It was to occur yesterday and today in the historic Main Street area of town. It didn't seem to me that it would have the same agricultural emphasis, and it didn't.
The Main Street was closed off

There were a few growers there - mostly date growers. We did get a basil seedling and artisan lettuce from Tanimura and Antle.

I talked with a guy who works for Gowan for a little while. As I understood what he told me, they produce chemicals for "crop protection", with their main specialty being for produce, like the vegetables grown here. They were started here in Yuma in the 1960s, and the owner was actually out talking with folks - he is probably in his 70s or 80s now. The man I was talking with was originally from India, but has been in the US for 25+ years and working for Gowan for 2 years.

Gowan is officed in the old Post Office Building, right in old town on Main Street (so their booth was right in front of their building).

This was the only tractor I saw - I think this booth may have been about the citrus growing in the area, but we didn't go in (it had a video playing inside the area on the trailer).
I also took a survey that University of Delaware was doing - on water sources for agriculture. I got $9 and a package of almonds for my time!

We preferred the format of the previous Lettuce Days, but... maybe this is easier for folks to get to... just wasn't as informative or enjoyable for us. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment