Saturday, November 9, 2019

An update on finances

Back in July, I posted about "finances" after the death of your spouse: https://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2019/07/finances.html

I thought I would give a brief update -- survivor benefits for Social Security did, indeed, start in August. One annuity started in July and the other in September - with the same amounts that Dwayne was previously receiving.

I had thought that I would hear from Dwayne's pension (from the federal government) in October... but I didn't... towards the end of October, I called to check, and they said that they would put a "notification request" on it, and I should hear something within 3 business days... that would have been 10/30. I called them again today; the good news is that a processor was assigned on 10/31. The person I spoke with said it would take about 30 days for the processing to be completed, and then they would notify me what benefits I could expect, and the benefits should start up in December.

Now, as I stated in my July post, I am doing fine, my expenses while living here at the ILC are very low, and the income that I am receiving is more than sufficient to address my needs and my wants. I have investments that I could use if needed. When the survivor pension payments eventually start, I have been assured that they will send me a retroactive credit back to February. But, for people who are dependent on this monthly income, I cannot imagine how they make it... to deal with the death of their spouse, all the additional expenses associated, *and* the loss of income streams - it would be a lot to deal with...

So, couples, take this as a recommendation to build up an emergency fund -- equivalent to at least 6 months of income in a reasonably accessible account, and leave it there.

1 comment:

  1. WOW very interesting indeed! So typical of dealing with any governmental agency. Very sad state of managing our people's hard earned money by our govt.

    ReplyDelete