Sunday, November 3, 2019

Memories of Garmins...

A couple of weeks ago, the mount that I have for the Garmin in the Jeep broke...
It had two plastic clips that attached to the vent fins and one of them broke...
So, I ordered another, and was able to get the Garmin mounted again:
This is a different design, but I think it will work well...

So... this reminded me of stories with Dwayne that make me smile...

I remember Dwayne traveling to the Pennsylvania / Maryland area - I think this was before we had a GPS, or Dwayne didn't have it with him. Dwayne's co-worker, Mike, had a Garmin, but he was not with Dwayne... so Dwayne called me and I guess I looked up a map online and got him to where he needed to go. As I recall, this was just a short time before his birthday - and I happened to find a card that had a removable pin to wear that said, "I'd be lost without my wife!"

Dwayne had told me that Mike had gotten his Garmin with Marriott points, so I also got him a Garmin. I remember that I got it for him for Christmas, and we named it "Natalie" because it came at Christmas. (The one in the Jeep now is named, "Julie" - you may be able to see her name on the picture above.)

Dwayne would carry Natalie with him when he traveled (he was doing a lot of traveling for work at that time). His co-workers got used to Natalie giving them directions on how to get where they needed to go. He and his co-workers were at a large meeting / conference, and, at break, his manager asked, "Dwayne, are you using Natalie tonight? Could I borrow her?" Let's just say that other people at the meeting were a wee bit taken aback by those questions!

We took Natalie to Kauai with us. Dwayne would carry her with us when we would go walking to measure how far we walked. Janell was visiting us, and we had walked from our condo down toward the end of the road, and then were walking past our condo toward the golf course. It was looking a little threatening of rain, and Dwayne said that he was going to stop by the condo and get an umbrella; that we should continue walking and he would catch up. So... he caught up, but without an umbrella - he was concerned about Natalie getting wet, so he got a ziplock bag to put the Garmin into... but no umbrella for his wife!

Later on that same trip, we were in the car, and we had Natalie on a windshield mount. Dwayne asked me to take Natalie down and hold the device in front of the air conditioning vent because she was getting too hot! *I* was hot too, but... Natalie hogged the vent!!! Janell told us that if we went to divorce court, she would be willing to testify that I was justifiably jealous of Dwayne's affection for Natalie!

We would get so tickled over these stories... I miss having Dwayne to remember these stories with me... we were so blessed to have each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment