Friday, November 22, 2019

hapax legomenon


Have you ever heard the phrase that is in the subject line of this post?
I had not...

My Hebrew class teacher mentioned it on Tuesday... she was identifying a word that was in the section of scripture that we were examining and indicated that she thought that that word was only used in that place in scripture, and then used this phrase, hapax legomenon. I had to look it up as I don't remember ever hearing that phrase before.


hap·ax le·go·me·non
/ˌhapaks ləˈɡäməˌnän/
noun
plural noun: hapax legomena
a term of which only one instance of use is recorded.


You should go to the website and use the little "sound" icon to hear how to say it:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNSiiRA7q6Cci1mqsRDunAqXQifkDg:1574388040016&q=Dictionary&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONQesSoyi3w8sc9YSmZSWtOXmMU4-LzL0jNc8lMLsnMz0ssqrRiUWJKzeNZxMqFEAMA7_QXqzcAAAA&zx=1574388053724#dobs=hapax%20legomena


No comments:

Post a Comment