Monday, August 20, 2018

2018 travels and planning

As I've mentioned in the past couple of posts, I've been working on tools to map where we've been and where we're going.

I took at look at google's My Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/?hl=en)... I had started playing with it at the end of 2017, and started with a plan at the beginning of 2018.
This was our tentative plan at the end of 2017 for our 2018 travels. We had a goal to "collect" the states in Miss Doozie that we had not yet visited of the lower 48 - Colorado, Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, and Michigan; to visit Virginia in the fall; and to get some items transported from storage in Virginia to cousin Marty in Florida. (Link to 2018 original planning map)
This is how 2018 has actually turned out, for January-August. We "collected" Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, and Utah, but added a trip into the Pacific Northwest to incorporate a visit to Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass, Oregon. The numbers overlay the letters; My Maps has an 8-location limit on the driving directions component before you have to start a new "layer", but then I can do a "layer" with just locations and tell it to number the locations and they overlay the A, B, C's with numbers which I prefer. (Link to 2018 Travels)  I plan/hope to keep this updated as we travel and replace the view on the "Maps" on the blog with a year-to-date view from now on. For now, I've added a new link and kept the old one, but I think I'm going to remove the old way. And, if I get energetic, I'll make maps for 2014-2017 in this format instead of all the 10-location google map ones.

I've also created a "what we're currently planning" map for the remainder of 2018, including "collecting" the provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, visiting friends and family in Illinois, and Ohio, stopping in Northern Virginia to visit friends and the Museum of the Bible, family in Virginia, and winter plans in Florida. (Link for August-September 2018 plan on MyMaps) Right now it appears that we may not "collect" Michigan this trip, but who knows, we might make a detour to accomplish it!
I think I have set the sharing properties appropriately so anyone who has the link can view the maps... but if you get a permission failure, please make a comment on the blog or if you know me personally, send an email. Thanks!!

If you are anywhere along the route, or even a little ways away, and would like for us to visit, contact us, and we'll see if we can work it into the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment