Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Wildlife and Custer State Park

On Monday, on our drive to Wind Cave, we saw quite a bit of wildlife...

Deer:



This little guy was running around like crazy... I don't think it was because he was afraid of the car... I think he was just having fun or enjoying the morning!

Bison:





Handsome, isn't he?
After we finished up at Wind Cave, we were heading back to Custer State Park...
Something's in the road up there...

Ah yes, a bison...

He has right-of-way, wherever he wants to go! We had read that Bison can run up to 35 MPH, and Dwayne wanted me to accelerate and see if it was true - I didn't!

A few miles further, and there was a herd running down the road towards us!


We stopped and let them decide where they wanted to go!

They passed us on both sides...

just trotting on by...

or lumbering by!

"C'mon Mom, we need to run!"

"I don't care if all of them are running..."

"I'm gonna take my own sweet time!"



Pronghorns:


"Yes, I'll pose if you like!"

Beautiful!
We then drove the Wildlife Loop in the Custer State Park... we had seen so many animals on the way that there weren't as many in the park as we had seen getting there!
We saw a large herd of bison in the distance - there were probably 100-200.

More pronghorn



Donkeys:
"Wild" donkeys... people were petting them and taking selfies with them!

They are thought to be descendants of miner's pack animals.

Now running wild and enjoying handouts from the tourists!
Such fun to see the wildlife!

No comments:

Post a Comment