Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Back to Newport

We drove to Newport on Tuesday... on the way, we passed some of the fields that had the crop names identified (that I blogged about last year: http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2017/09/geese-and-crop-signs.html). A few of them I found interesting - one had "RYE" and under that another sign that said "WHISKEY". I didn't know whether that was a type of rye grain or the finished product that the crop was destined to become - I think the latter. Another sign that I thought was funny said "TATER TOTS"! There were fields marked "POTATOES" but only one that had "TATER TOTS" - I wonder if there are folks who think that tater tots are harvested directly from the field and placed in bags in the freezer section of the grocery store? There were also fields marked, "BEANS" - I remember that when I saw them last year, I thought that they were probably soybeans, but when we talked to a local farmer in Quincy this week, he was telling us about all kinds of beans that he grows - kidney, red, navy, and some others that I had not heard of before - whatever there is a demand for that he gets a contract to grow.

Also on the way, we drove through Spokane, where "Tomato Street Italian Restaurant" boasted that it is "The only street in Spokane not under construction"! We had not noticed an abnormal amount of construction, but I remember hearing from a friend who lived in one of the northern states that they have two seasons: Winter and Construction. So... maybe a lot of the non-winter time is spent sitting in construction delays in this area of Washington.

We are at the Newport / Little Diamond KOA / Thousand Trails again - Miss Doozie is in about the middle, backed up to the meadow. We were here in the beginning of September last year, at the beginning of our endeavor to visit all the Thousand Trails campgrounds on the west coast.
I think we are in the exact same site that we were in last year. We have been thinking about friends that we made when we were here last year and missing having them here with us!

We are waiting for a couple of orders to come in via mail or UPS before we continue on from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment