Saturday, October 10, 2015

Verizon - joys and agony!

We have had Verizon FiOS for a long time at our house. It is really nice - unlimited fast data, and we also get our TV and telephone through FiOS.

But alas, it is time to leave home service, so I called to get it shut off this week... should be simple, right?

I was smart enough to indicate that I wanted to cancel internet and TV. The guy asked if I didn't want to transfer it to my new home... not an option for a motor home, he finally agreed. Internet and TV were to be cancelled the next day (Thursday), or so I thought. Telephone would continue to be connected until the folks move in end of the month. Verizon would be sending boxes for us to return our set top boxes and routers (we have two routers - they sent a new one when we put the system on "vacation" last December). The boxes should come in 7-10 days - uh oh... we'll need to ask for help to get the equipment sent back.

Instead, it was cancelled immediately. And I found out immediately when I sent an email to Dwayne to document that I had taken care of it, and got a message that his verizon.net email account was no longer valid. Uh-oh... that wasn't supposed to happen.

Back on the phone with Verizon to get Dwayne's email address back. But... can't get it back unless we have internet service (I should have gotten it un-attached from the internet accounting before I cancelled the service). So, I have to sign up for internet service again. I agreed to sign up for internet service again; they will send me another router; it should arrive tomorrow (Thursday).

The router and the empty boxes arrived together on Thursday (so we'll be able to pack the equipment up). The box was really neat - it came in an almost flat package that made into a nice box and separator section.
The separator part is flat laying on top of the other part that I have already made into a box.
Separator part going into the box.
I went online and separated the verizon.net email addresses from the internet service (for a yearly fee, we can keep the verizon.net email addresses). So, now I was ready to remove the internet service again (that we had had for less than a day). I talked to another person, and she again tried to convince me to take our FiOS service to the bus - I told her I would love to do that, but that I didn't think it was possible. So... she cancelled all of our FiOS service... did you notice what I forgot to do this time?


Yes... the telephone service went away too.  ARGH!!!  The monitoring system immediately started beeping that it was having "Trouble". I knew right away what the problem was, so I called back to Verizon. The lady I talked to this time saw that the record was in the process of being cancelled, knew that she could not assign new service until the cancellation went away. She said it should resolve in about two hours, and she would call me back when she had taken care of it.

Unfortunately, that was about 12 hours ago now... so... we don't have phone service at the house. I guess there could be worse things... maybe we'll get it back, maybe we won't... whichever, it is OK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment