Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Visit to FDR Little White House - part 1

We took the day off from Bluebird activities today and drove over to Warm Springs to visit the FDR Little White House. FDR contracted polio when he was almost 40 years old. He had heard that some people experienced a "cure" from swimming in the warm mineral waters at Warm Springs, so he went there to try to experience a cure. He bought property and built a home there, I think while he was governor of NY. While he was president, it was a place where he went to get away.

It was very interesting to visit. When I was in school, for some reasons history teachers didn't seem to plan out what they were going to address throughout the whole school year, and it seemed the last week of school we would hear, "Then there was WWI, and WWII, and Vietnam, and ... no time to go into that." So, I don't feel that I really ever learned recent history (like of the 1900s). So, I didn't know much about this time period, and it was interesting to see information about his life and his impact on the US.

I took a picture of this in honor of my sweet niece, Ginny!

My brother noticed that FDR had Hereford cattle (at least one!)

This was the text that went along with the cow picture - it indicates that "local cattle were bred with registered bulls, improving the herd".

Of course, I noticed the information about his dog, Fala.

Here are some pictures associated with the text about Fala.

No comments:

Post a Comment