Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Teapot Hill

Friends Rick and Jackie (http://ricknjackie.com/) had recommended that we hike up Teapot Hill - it is near our campground, and though they told us it was a bit steep, the reward was the treasure hunt for teapots that folks have left along the trail... and it was fun!
Walking up from the parking lot...

Took us to a forest access road - broad and easy (though uphill) walking.

This map showed us where we were (the red "X") and where we were going (Tea Pot Hill on the left center side).

I had just said, "I haven't seen any teapots yet" when we spied this one...

A close up of the first one we saw.

I had been thinking that the "Keebler Elf" doors of many of the trees would be a good place for a teapot...

When I spied this one in an "elfen doorway"

We could see that there was a sign up ahead...

Sure enough, it directed us on the path to Teapot (or Tea Pot) Hill.

Sometimes there were teacups and saucers...

Or just saucers (this one was dated Sept 14, 2017, so it was just placed recently).

Some were hung from trees...

Placed on stumps...

Of course, my favorite - a kitty pot!

The woods were beautiful - lots of moss covering branches, ferns on the ground...

Most of the teapots were ceramic....

I laughed when I saw this one - how appropriate!

I thought this was a pretty one - but it wasn't until we were on our way down that I saw the one in the hollow that is just cut off on the right side of the picture - see the brown top barely in the picture? I couldn't imagine that I totally missed it, and wondered if one of the other hikers placed it after we passed going up, but... this picture proved to me that I just wasn't observant!

Pretty yellow teapot...

At the top there was a chain link fence (that allowed us to know that we were at the top!).

We could barely recognize our campground in the distance - it was a rainy cloudy day...

A little view of Cultus Lake - would have been nicer if it were sunny, but tomorrow is predicted to have the same weather, so...  we decided to make the hike this afternoon.

Some of the tea pots looked like they had been personally decorated.

The Corningware tea pot reminded us of Aunt Libby's in which she used to make iced tea...

Some of the tea pots were placed so high up - Dwayne wonders if they brought a ladder up to get them placed... it would have been quite a piece to carry a ladder.

Here's a shot of Dwayne on the path with a teapot above his head level on the left.
Even though it was a rainy afternoon, we enjoyed a 2+ hour hike up and back. I was surprised how many teapots I saw on the way down that I had not seen on the way up - obviously people thought about making both ways of the hike enjoyable!

Note: if you are tired of looking at teapot pictures, just be aware that I culled down - originally I had 80+ pictures!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment