Monday, October 20, 2014

"Caravanning" to Six-State

On Monday, there were 6 coaches from Texans on Safari who were going to "caravan" to the Six State Rally in Shreveport. On Sunday, we met to talk about the procedure for doing this; some of the coaches had gotten their registration in early enough to have been allocated 50 amp electrical service; we were later (as were a couple of others) so we had 30 amp. The Rally had asked that the coaches come in together and have numbered signs (1 of 6, 2 of 6, etc.).  We were #5 of 6 with the "tail gunner" behind us.

Because we were to be traveling along together at a consistent pace, I wanted Dwayne to drive. I wasn't sure I could keep up the pace and I didn't want to be forced to travel at a pace that I would not be comfortable with!

There were two other motorhomes who were also going to Six State but who were not going to caravan with us.  Smitty and Mary Helen were part of the volunteer crew for the Six State Rally, so they needed to leave earlier.  The Texans on Safari group, due to the change in the schedule of their rally, had not set their plans for caravanning until pretty late, so Bob and Deanna had already made plans to stay at Tyler State Park and would be arriving at Six State a couple of days later.

Six State had told us to come in with empty waste tanks and full fresh water tanks. We had had full fresh tanks for weighing, but had used it down so we wouldn't have so much weight, but then had to refill before leaving for Six State. I was dismayed to find that our grey tank was pretty much full after just 4 days of use; we were going to be at Six State for 6 days and would not have dump capability... uh oh!!!

The nice thing is that there are folks who have gone through all these things before.  Haazra recommended that I put a dishpan in the kitchen sink to catch water when I was washing dishes or our hands, and then carry that out to a nearby tree or area of grass that may look like it needed watering!

So, we left Murchison to caravan to Shreveport. We went around Tyler (we "lost" coach #6 with Butch and Dianna twice at lights, but Butch managed to catch up to us before we got to I-20). We took I-20 across into Louisiana. We stopped at the Louisiana State Welcome Center to use their facilities (don't put anything into your grey or black tanks that you don't have to!) and pick up Shreveport information. After a short distance of the rough interstate that Dwayne had endured when he brought the Trek home, we got off to go to the Louisiana State Fairgrounds, where the rally was to be held.  This time, Dwayne and I got stopped at the light and separated from the other coaches, but they waited for us at the next turn.

When we got to the Fairgrounds, as a group we were all sent over to the side. All the ladies hopped out of their coaches to disconnect the toads. I thought, "Uh oh, can I do this by myself???"  Butch and Dianna did not have a toad, so he came over to help me. We still have the bag to cover the hitch mechanism when it is stowed on the back of the coach. Butch said, "Wow, we used to have one of those, I have no idea where it is now."  I said, "You can tell a newbie.... but you can't tell them much!"

I followed the lead of Haazra -- Haazra's and Rogers' coach was the first of the 30 amp vehicles in our caravan. Rogers followed a golf cart that led him to where our parking area was, Haazra followed their Trek in their car, then Dwayne driving our Trek, and me in our car, then Butch and Dianna. We were in the first "street" of motorhome parking and the volunteers directing the parking were, erh, inexperienced in directing us to do what they wanted. They eventually got our 3 coaches parked and Haazra and I parked our toads at the end of the "street".

No comments:

Post a Comment