Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Alamogordo

We decided to drive down to Alamogordo today (typing "Alamogordo" is *very* difficult for me... I either try to put an "o" for the second "a", or an "a" for the last "o" - maybe because I have been pronouncing it as if the last "o" is an "a" -- and maybe that is wrong!). It seems to be the closest place for groceries (about 30 miles), and we had wanted to drive the road down there in the Jeep since we'd seen so many cautions about it.

This is a sampling of the warning signs... these are all at a pull off just east (our side) of Cloudcroft...







 Are you sufficiently concerned/cautious now?

I had to take a picture of this next sign because of a confusion I had a couple of days ago... I saw one of these signs, and for some reason, I saw the "LOWS" part of it first (so my head was saying it as "lows") and when I read the first part, I must have applied an odd dyslexia because I saw, "Watch for Swamp-lows"... what in the world is a "swamp-low"?, my mind asked...
We haven't seen any swamp-lows or snowplows... in case you were wondering!

It was a beautiful albeit curvy drive down... this was a pull off after High Rolls, just before the tunnel.

Link to Google Maps
At the pot luck here at the campground on Saturday, others had talked about Lowe's Market - a local supermarket. I probably wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't mentioned the large liquor collection!

They even have library ladders to slide down the aisle in case your desired selection is on an upper shelf!

We also went to Walmart... and they had "Ugly Stiks" for sale! If you've been reading the blog for a while, you might remember Dwayne playing an instrument called an "Ugly Stick" when we were in Newfoundland back in 2016... (http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2016/08/gros-morne-national-park-day-1.html). If you want to see the video of Dwayne's performance on the ugly stick, it can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVLWz3uWECQ
The Walmart variety of "ugly stik" was a fly fishing rod. Dwayne gave as his opinion that it would be very hard to play as a musical instrument!

It was quite a bit warmer in Alamogordo - high 80s instead of high 70s. We were happy to return to our higher elevation campsite and glad that we drove the route in the Jeep instead of Miss Doozie. I think Miss Doozie could make it, though I would hate to make the climb up from Alamogordo to here in her... we would definitely be going slow and pokey if we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment