Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Travels and Enchanted Trails RV Park


Yesterday (Monday), we drove from Roswell to Albuquerque. We use a service called "Days End Directory" - it is through the Escapees RV club that we belong to - it allows me to put in two locations and it will show me free or low cost stopping places along the way. https://daysenddirectory.com/#/

We had to pay for it the first year that we got it, but have not had to pay in succeeding years because you can build up credits by reporting on stopping places - for example, I provided updates on several picnic areas as we were driving across Texas - each re-validation of an existing listing is given 1 point, updates or deletions get 2 points, and new locations get 4. If I have 24 points in my "account", I don't have to pay for the next year (and my account gets decremented by 24 points).

So, one of the rest area locations on US 285 outside of Roswell had some text that indicated that they needed it to be updated, so we stopped and took some pictures and I sent in an update.
This is classified as a "Rest Area" (not just a "Picnic Area") because it has restrooms (they are over there in the trees to the left. It also had parking areas for trucks in an old (no longer used) weigh station where RVs could also park.
We had decided to stay at Enchanted Trails RV Park in Albuquerque - a friend had recommended it, and it had a Passport America (1/2 price) rate available for two days. Enchanted Trails is on old Route 66, and we really like it, but, let's just say it is a bit kitschy (defn: (of art, objects, or design) considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness or sentimentality, but sometimes appreciated in an ironic or knowing way) or a little too precious for words...

I took a picture of this because I think I have a hub cap somewhere on the bus... I had previously thought I might be able to sell it... but I have not... so I thought I would donate it to them, but I have not been able to find it, so... I may not be contributing to their collection!

As we left to drive into Albuquerque today, we drove toward the back of the park (I can't remember what we were looking for!) - we found this building with all kinds of old signs on it!
 We headed into Albuquerque today to meet up with a fellow that we had met at the Lamesa, TX city park where we stayed a couple of weeks ago. We had known that we wanted to visit a restaurant in Albuquerque called "Cervantes", and mentioned that to him. He said that it was just a few blocks from his house and encouraged us to give him a call and he would meet us there. So, we had called him a few days ago and arranged to meet this afternoon - enjoyed it lots! No pictures (forgot!).

One of the big events in Albuquerque is the annual Balloon Fiesta. We drove out to see the grounds (the Fiesta is in October)...

The Garmin took us to a parking lot that was fenced off from access to the grounds - we overlooked the grounds - there wasn't anything going on that we could see today anyway, so we headed back to the bus...

I took a walk around the campground to get pictures of more of the "kitsch"...

There are trailers that you can rent to stay in... classic trailers... this is a 1956 Yellowstone "Geneva".
 
This one didn't have an identification tag, so I can't tell you what it is, but it was cute!!!

1974 Silver Streak "Della"


1963 Winnebago "Dot" with Hudson automobile next to it and 1959 Spartan "Flossie" beyond it.





Isn't it neat how the sun on the fender makes it look like there is a heart over the engine compartment?

1959 Spartan "Flossie"
Flock of Flamingoes
Nearby the vintage RVs

Inside the building...

Lots of retro stuff...

A theater organ


In the laundry room - in front of the windows, the furthest item is an old washing machine, the middle item is, I think, a clothes presser, and a hair salon chair with dryer nearest to me!

From the other side...

Various items on the wall over the current-day coin washers.

This couch almost looked like it may have come out of an RV - it looks like it might jack-knife into a bed.
 What fun! The folks who own/run this park take great pride in it, and it shows. We're enjoying staying here!

No comments:

Post a Comment