Wednesday, July 20, 2016

"You can't legislate morality..."

I (Patti) remember my dad saying, "You can't legislate morality."

Our pastor wrote an article entitled "Why the church is the most significant player in the fight against racism" for the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission for the Southern Baptist Convention this week. I feel that what he expressed are the types of thoughts that I felt my dad meant when he said, "You can't legislate morality."

I encourage you to read it...

http://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/why-the-church-is-the-most-significant-player-in-the-fight-against-racism

Here are some of the quotes that I appreciated our pastor stating so clearly:
The law is powerful and absolutely necessary, but it is limited. The law might change the fruit of the problem, but it cannot change the root of the problem.
But no matter how many laws we make, the hearts of people will remain the same unless they are changed by the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is not a political problem; it’s a spiritual problem. And that is precisely why the church is the primary player in the fight against the heinous sin of racism.
This is not a moment for the church to be silent. This is a moment for the church to proclaim the peace, hope, love and transforming power of Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment